Hi, it's Lisa today or shall we say Mama? Friday we had our first official ultrasound. We got pictures and everything! Some of you know we had an ultrasound before this one but this one is the official one because we got pictures. So it turns out that Baby Sheep is doing great! B.S. has a very strong heartbeat and is very active: breakdancing, waving, turning around. Liz is afraid that the breakdancing is influenced by our watching So You Think You Can Dance. In any event, we now understand why Liz is super sick all the time because B.S. is so busy!
So as much as Liz is suffering, it is very good news indeed.
On this note, Liz cannot wait until the end of her first trimester. So if any of you talk with her, just tell her that she is "almost there."
One last note, there has been much discussion in the families about when and how we will know the baby's sex or gender. Indulge me, but as a sociologist of gender I would like us to distinguish between sex and gender. Sex is biological, made up of hormones and genitalia and other biological criteria. Gender is socially-determined made up of clothes, toys, names, and such.
Thanks for playing sex vs gender!
A Life Well Lived
16 years ago

3 comments:
Liz, let me be the first to say, you're almost there! Everyone told me the second trimester is a breeze (don't believe them). I won't even begin to mention the third. Are you uplifted yet?
And you KNOW I have to weigh in about the sex/gender discussion and your decision of whether to be told the sex. I say wait on knowing the sex, simply for the excitement of it. Besides, it upsets people when you tell them you don't know. I love that! And finally, I'll share my greatest idea, since Chris and I haven't kept to it: just cross-dress the tyke until s/he is old enough to understand sex differences! That way s/he will at least have a little benefit of being raised as the opposite sex. I had vowed to do that. I may have kept to it if we had ended up with a boy. But girl clothes are just too cute to resist. Sorry if you are disappointed in me!
Liz, the 2nd trimester will be a breeze - enjoy it because the 3rd trimester will be a whole new ballgame. But I won't freak you out with the details just yet...
Baby Sheep, you are the luckiest little sheep in the whole world. Be nice to your mommas.
Love, Auntie "M"
Dear Mommy Lisa,
Could we not call the tot B.S. in future blogs? I'm in love with him already and I don't want his cute nickname (Baby Sheep) to be confused with a naughty term that we often blurt out at inopportune times. Funny story...when my mom was in the 6th grade, initial rings were all the rage. Everyone got a ring with their first and last initial (no middle name) to wear on their finger. My poor mother, Betty Stevens, couldn't figure out why her parents refused to get her one...
xxoo from Auntie Ann
Post a Comment